Peter Pigot is hosting a series of ONLINE seminars for Intermediate and Advanced players. The seminars will consist of an opening discussion on Zoom, with graphics and instruction via BBO, then a session of play examples on RealBridge, and a conclusion back on Zoom. Full notes and video will be available on request. The cost is €30 per session for the Advanced sessions, and €25 for the Intermediates. To book for any seminar please email Peter at PeterPigotBridge@gmail.com.
The schedule of seminars is:
- Thursday 15 September 13:00 – 16:30 (Advanced) – Positional Bidding & Opening Leads (Bidding: expectation from a passed hand, doubling conventional calls, 3rd and 4th seat openings and intervention, using Pass as a description; Leads: Away from honours or not!, the bidding demands, clues from my holding, passive leads)
- Saturday 24 September 10:30 – 13:30 (Intermediate) – Improve Your Judgement & Opening Leads (Bidding: suit length versus strength, balanced with smatterings of values, J/Q/K/A – the difference when counting HCP, clusters, fits and double fits, evaluating shortage correctly; Leads: the correct card from all holdings, the correct card in response to partner’s lead, deciding on the defence type – force/ruff/high cards/passive/other)
- Saturday 15 October 14:30 – 18:00 (Advanced) – Accurate Partnership Bidding & Declarer Play Techniques (Bidding: new suits in competition, descriptive doubles, competitive doubles, general agreements, forcing and limit bids; Play: hold-ups, timing, getting help from the defence)
- Sunday 16 October 10:30 – 13:30 (Intermediate) – Shape/Values/Description & Declarer Top Tips (Bidding: how to bid your shape AND your value, rebids – balanced, single-suited and two-suited; Play: hold-up, when and why, endplays)
A full schedule of Peter’s autumn schedule of standard evening and daytime classes, for all levels of play, is available on his website.
The Regent Bridge Club is running three open leagues (so non-members of the club are welcome to participate) again this season:
- Premier League (Master grades), starting 26 September, organiser Bríd Kemple 087-1954528
- Area Master League, starting 19 September, organiser Noreen Pender email@example.com; 087-2344681
- Intermediate League, starting 3 October organiser Máiréad Ní Óistín firstname.lastname@example.org; 087-6750393
Matches will be played monthly on Monday nights in-person in the Regent Bridge Club, 25 Waterloo Road, Dublin 4. Enter as a Team of 4-7 players. Entries to be sent to the relevant league organiser.
The club will also be running a series of supervised play sessions, ideal for less experienced players who have never really played live before, or who have and want a bit of a confidence restorer after the break caused by covid, on Tuesday nights from 6 September at the same address. The sessions run from 19:30 – 21:30, and there is no need to book in advance; just show up on the night, and you do not require a partner. Each session costs €10.
And finally, belated congratulations to Sonya Hillis & Huey Daly for a great win in the Mixed Pairs in the recent EBU Eastbourne Congress, in a very strong field. Huey was in the CBAI office a couple of days after the win, but was altogether too modest to mention their success!