Many congratulations to Diarmuid Reddan on making such a success of the first foray into running an Irish bridge congress online. The South of Ireland (Killarney) Congress was held on BBO over the last week, and was a great success.
The numbers participating exceeded the normal crowds attending in person, and players “came” from all four corners of Ireland, and from all over the world, including many of the regular international supporters along with lots of new ones.
While they were unable to enjoy the traditional Killarney welcome, Diarmuid made up for it with a week full of top-class competitions, all managed seamlessly online. The winners of the various events were:
- Mixed Teams: Louise Mitchell, David Walsh, Miriam McConville, Paul Porteous
- Mixed Pairs: Carol-Ann Cummins & Alan O’Sullivan
- Congress Pairs: Peter Hasenson & David Sherman (England)
- Intermediate Pairs: Rhona Bolger & Margaret Forde
- Swiss MP Pairs: Peter Hasenson & David Sherman (England)
- Swiss IMP Pairs: Dan McIntosh (England) & Mike Pownall (Wales)
- Lough Lein Congress Teams: James Heneghan, Michael MacDonagh, Karel De Raeymaeker, Peter Pigot
The online congress provided all the traditional Killarney aficionados with a chance to get together, and offered lots of new guests a chance to find out what Irish bridge is all about. Hopefully they will all be able to convene in person next year for the biggest Killarney Congress ever.